Content

Kamis, 07 Maret 2013

Nyepi


This year would be my first time being in Bali on Nyepi day. I wonder how it will be. Since 1 month before Nyepi, I saw people around the city start making Ogoh-ogoh. Ogoh-ogoh is a huge statue represents Bhuta Kala, and has form of mythological being, mostly demons. At every banjar (village) I see adults busy making Ogoh-ogoh with children, and 1 week before Nyepi, most of them have been finished.



I am curious to know how Balinese celebrate Nyepi. But I also feel a little bit scared because there will be silence throughout Bali. No sounds, no activities, no lights.

Anyway, talking about the philosophy of how Nyepi being celebrated every year, there is something interesting. Nyepi is new year celebration in Bali. Different from how people celebrate new year every December 31st to January 1st with fireworks and parties everywhere, Balinese celebrate their new year being in silence, doing nothing, like resetting everything to welcome brand new year. 

There are 4 restrictions on Nyepi day; Amati Geni (no light or fire), Amati Karya (no working), Amati Lelunganan (no travelling), and Amati Lelanguan (Fasting and no revely).  These restrictions usually called Catur Brata. By doing Catur Brata,  Balinese believe (and I am also starting to believe) that it is good to start everything from nothing. So...



Rahajeng Nyanggra Rahina Nyepi, may the New Year be sacred.

Om Santhi, Santhi, Santhi, Om

Interested in My Portfolio?

Or need me to work on your project? Feel free to contact me or Also visit my deviantart ayiasetiawan

Looking for Doodles and my previous works?