Content

Rabu, 13 Maret 2013

Canang

Canang is the smallest part of banten (offerings). Canang is used as offerings, to sanctify places that considered sacred, and as a medium to worship God for Balinese. The first time I recognized canang was when I visited Bali for the second time, at the age of 16. At that time I noticed how a girl was praying in the morning and offering canang. I was so interested in what's offered and how to offer it.
Now canang has become a part of my daily life. I always pray in the morning and evening using canang, incense sticks, and Tirta (holy water). Balinese Hindu has become part of me, and I have become a part of Balinese Hindu.

Canang I use for praying everyday

I had some conversations with people, talking about canang. I also surfed through the internet to find out the meaning. With so much information I got, including by learning to make my own canang by using busung (coconut leaves), I figured out something interesting.

Here, I do not want to talk about religious things because it's not my capacity. There’s other thing I want to share and it is so beautiful.

Canang is a form of offerings in the land of Bali, which is dedicated to Sang Hyang Widhi Wasa (God) using natural materials. The materials are busung, flowers in 4 colors (Black or purple for North, red for South, yellow for West, and white or pink for East), sliced Bunga Rampe, Biu (banana), porosan (betel leaf containing pinang and kapur), rice, sugar cane slices, and so forth. Everything comes from nature and always in good condition and fresh. Now imagine if the land of Bali is not fertile, and the nature is damaged. Where can people get materials for canang?

I think there is a cycle that is unique and beautiful here. Human care for nature, its natural outcome is dedicated to God, and then God will give blessings to people and nature. This cycle continues to spin and should be kept uninterrupted.

From this, I learned something big from a small thing.

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti, Om


Interested in My Portfolio?

Or need me to work on your project? Feel free to contact me or Also visit my deviantart ayiasetiawan

Looking for Doodles and my previous works?