Content

Rabu, 27 Maret 2013

The Celebration of Galungan & Kuningan


Every six months, the Balinese celebrate Galungan and Kuningan. Both of these celebrations cannot be separated. 10 days after celebrating Galungan,The Balinese will celebrate Kuningan. This celebration is for celebrating the victory of dharma over adharma, the good win against the dark forces of evil.

For about 2 weeks, the Balinese will be busy preparing ceremony and celebrating, making canang, and offerings, preparing penjor, cooking, praying at temples, and so forth. Start from one day before Galungan (which is called Penampahan Galungan or the day for preparing Galungan) every road in Bali will be decorated with penjor. There will be atmosphere of celebration and the joy of welcoming the feast


Today is Manis Galungan, the day after Galungan where the Balinese will visit their families and friends On this day, I want to tell you a bit about what I am trying to show you in Galungan and Kuningan greeting that I uploaded earlier on this blog. In the design, I make a visual ofa scene from Ramayana story where Rama defeated Ravana. Rama and Ravana is the symbol of dharma and adharma. I only use 2 tone of colors, black and white. Black and white are the symbols of dharma and adharma and are usually applied on Poleng fabric patterns, the iconic Balinese black and white plaid fabric. I am trying to deliver a simple message about the meaning of the celebration of Galungan and Kuningan which is so simple but has a broader and deeper meaning in every application in everyday life.

I hope for you who are celebrating Galungan and Kuningan get peace and blessings from Ida Sang Hyang Widhi Wasa, and I wish that the celebration will be a good start for the peace and prosperity of the world.

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti, Om

Interested in My Portfolio?

Or need me to work on your project? Feel free to contact me or Also visit my deviantart ayiasetiawan

Looking for Doodles and my previous works?